classytart: (Default)
[personal profile] classytart
I feel I should post more. But I also think I've lost the knack/habit. I still read, but make precious few posts here. And it's a shame, because LJ has been brilliant to me. I have several friends, and have been on several adventures, because of LJ.

Maybe I'm wistful because I just used Linked In to make a plan to see someone I've not seen in years and I'm giddy.

I'm over on Twitter now, and I like it, but it's not my first love. That's LJ. LJ does the long form of blogs, but with the community and back-and-forth most blogging platforms don't offer. I don't know why it fell behind. I guess the behemoth of facebook took over. Bah.

Am I too young to be curmudgeonly? Maybe not! I am 34 years old. I was 21 when I created my journal. Isn't that scary?

Anyway, this evening I am being At Home, but also not switching on the telly, so I find myself in front of the computer instead. I should go read my book.

Here's a lovely picture I took in India.

A boy and his bike


I must take more photos.

Date: 2015-03-04 10:49 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fragbert.livejournal.com
I was 36 when I discovered LJ, and I'm 48 now.

I found this on my old LJ:
2003-02-18 13:52

I went New Friend-Trolling yesterday. As a result, welcome to
[livejournal.com profile] classytart!
We've been friends for 12 years, Liz.

Date: 2015-03-04 10:53 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] classytart.livejournal.com
Bloody hell! Almost a shame I didn't put this up 2 weeks ago, and hit the anniversary exactly.

See, this is why I should post more. I *love* being able to look back and see what I was doing, ten years ago. In ten years' time, I'm not going to have that. Or these little snapshots of what who we met and so on.

Date: 2015-03-04 10:56 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] fragbert.livejournal.com
When I don't post, I'm not doing anything worth remembering, so it's no great loss.

I mean, seriously, no one's going to interact with me when I post nothing but "I woke up, I had coffee, I went to work, I came home, I played games on the computer until late at night, and then I went to bed, had a wank and fell asleep" every single day.

Date: 2015-03-04 11:13 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] classytart.livejournal.com
Thing is, though, while it feels like nothing's happening, I notice I posted only a handful of times in 2014. So the little small, graded changes don't show up.

This is probably partly why Twitter keeps its users: short form means it doesn't feel like a waste in any way to post just the one line.

Date: 2015-03-05 10:24 am (UTC)
From: [identity profile] yummydeb.livejournal.com
I'm in my 12th year of LJ, I think... Have been going back over old entries and there's so much there, sometimes it's mind-boggling. What strikes me now as I become an ageing crone is that there's so much that I never would have remembered, if it wasn't recorded here in LJ. So many incredible things (and not-so-great things) that would have been lost forever, but they aren't - they're here, waiting to be found again. I like that. I should do more of that, too.

It's tough in tumbleweedy LJ these days. For a long time I was one of the last hold-outs, trying to post almost every day, which became a few times a week, which now, apparently, has trickled to the point where a couple of weeks ago [livejournal.com profile] pasticcio nudged me because I hadn't posted in two whole weeks. I used to shriek and pout and struggle against the tide turning towards Facebook/Twitter and would get upset that everyone was abandoning LJ, but I succumbed to it in the end, too. But it's something I'd like to change, too.

Mainly, sometimes I think I have nothing new left to say. Meep.

The number of times this comment contains 'I' has just made me ashamed of it but all that I meant was... I understand.

That is a lovely photo.
Edited Date: 2015-03-05 10:32 am (UTC)

Date: 2015-03-05 10:35 pm (UTC)
From: [identity profile] classytart.livejournal.com
Thing is, any kind of blog platform is going to come from "I" and "me". Then you get "me too!" then you start to get to "What about you". It's just how people work.

It is a concern, isn't it? What if I've said everything there was to say? But then I look at old, dull posts, just talking about working a night in the pub, or something, and it's a nice little insight anyway.


It's pure fluke, but I'm honestly not sure I could improve it.

January 2017

S M T W T F S
12 34567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
293031    

Style Credit

  • Style: Cozy Blanket for Ciel by nornoriel

Expand Cut Tags

No cut tags
Page generated Aug. 28th, 2026 03:16 pm
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios